The City of Bowling Green is participating in the Community Energy Savings: Smart Thermostat Program, a voluntary program designed to help reduce electric costs. The cost of some electric expenses, like transmission, are based on the periods of highest energy consumption. Reducing the demand for electricity during those peak periods translates into lower costs for everyone in the community. You can help lower electric expenses for yourself and your neighbors by enrolling your smart thermostat in this program and allowing Bowling Green Municipal Utilities to make brief, small adjustments to your thermostat during times of high electric demand.
If you do not currently have a smart thermostat, Bowling Green electric customers can receive up to a $100 rebate from Efficiency Smart® to purchase a qualifying smart thermostat. Please verify your new smart thermostat is eligible for both the Efficiency Smart rebate and the Smart Thermostat Program.
Here’s how the Smart Thermostat Program works:
- If you don’t currently have a smart thermostat, purchase, and install one. Check eligible smart thermostats at the links above.
- Enroll your smart thermostat.
- Receive a $55 e-gift card after you’ve successfully enrolled and been verified to participate in the program.
- Bowling Green Municipal Utilities may call brief, limited events where your thermostat is automatically adjusted. This will only occur from May 1 through Sept. 30 on non-holiday weekday afternoons. Thermostats will be adjusted up no more than four degrees above the current temperature setting for fewer than four hours during times of high energy demand. Thermostats may be adjusted down three degrees to pre-cool your home prior to the event.
- You can conveniently opt out of an event by changing your thermostat settings. If you don’t opt out of the event, your thermostat will return to its normal setting.
- Maintain your enrollment in the program and you will be entered for a chance to win a $250 e-gift card at the end of each summer season.
Help your community.
By enrolling in the Community Energy Savings program, you are helping to decrease the demand for electricity during times of peak usage, lowering not only your energy costs, but the costs for everyone in your community.
Questions about the program may be directed to email@example.com or to the City’s Utilities Director’s Office.